Pole Vaulting

Pole Vaulting
Kicking holes in the sky

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Nutrition

     Having been a track coach for over thirty years, I realize the importance of nutrition to physical performance.  I am increasingly aware that my athletes do not take in the nutrients necessary for optimal performances.  As a result I have added advice on diet to the many aspects of coaching.
         I concentrate on teaching athletes a revised food pyramid which emphasizes the importance of eating 9-11 servings of fruits and vegetables daily.  I also advise the intake of more protein than the average noncompeting person.  And of course I teach the importance of drinking lots of water.  A well hydrated system is imperative for the best performances.
     In general, eating a wide variety of fresh, whole (unprocessed), foods has proven favorable to one’s health and athletic performances.  The following links contain useful information about nutrition:

No comments:

Post a Comment